Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Howgill Heaven

As regular readers will know, one of the many advantages of living in Settle is that I now have two hareems. ( For any new readers, I must explain that this is not due to my being irresistible to women but is due to my being retired and therefore able to run on a weekday).
One of my hareems meets every Thursday morning in term time and last week we drove up to Sedbergh to run on the Howgills. I had done a race from Sedbergh but I was not otherwise familiar with the area. It turned out that I was in for a very pleasant surprise. The initial climb was steep but runnable (think of Foxholes with a non tarmac surface) but once on the tops there were miles of rounded hills with nice tracks

We climbed Arant Haw, Calders, The Calf, Bram Hill Top and Winder, before the steep drop back into Sedbergh for tea and cake ( the Thursday Hareems is very keen on tea and cake). 
So if you don't know the area, I do strongly recommend it. Perhaps one of EtU's tours is needed.

7 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Chris, It must be fun for you, as a southerner, to come up to the beautiful North, so late in life, and still have so many of our wonders still to explore.
See my post dated 18th Feb '14. Although that outing was not entirely successful, you will see that the round had already been completed some years earlier.
Note that since then, modern technology has demonstrated that one of the 'nearly 2,000 footers' is in fact a true 2,000 tooter and there are now, therefore, 12 such tops - an Ed's Dozen?

Ed the Unready said...

See also posts dated 6th and 9th April '14.

TLoB said...

I was only 18 when I came north! Just read your blogs from 2014 and it looks like you need a return visit. Incidentally, I can only find 8 2000ft hills in the Howgills, The Calf, Calders, Bram Rigg Top, Randygill Top, Yarlside, Fell Head,Great Dummacks and Bush Howe. Which are your other 4?

Ed the Unready said...

Chris, hi, The eleven 2,000 footers that were recognised at the time are listed in my post dated 18th Feb '14, as referred to in my first comment on your initial post. The recent addition is Calf Top (as distinct from The Calf) see:-
http://mappingmountains.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/reclassifications-to-2000ft-mountains.html

Ed the Unready said...

Chris, hi, I have taken advice on how Blogger handles the issue of email notifications regarding post comments, and if my advice and my understanding of it is correct, you should receive an email regarding this comment. If you do receive such a notification regarding this comment, please can you let me know.

TLoB said...

No email

Ed the Unready said...

If at first I don't succeed...