Monday, October 31, 2016

A hard day's work

The Snowdonia marathon never gets any easier and nor do my times improve.  Saturday's outing, my tenth running of this gruelling race, did however experience one of the event's best weather days, warmish, no wind and only a little cooling drizzle.

On the down side my time of 4.27 was five minutes slower than last year.  All was going well until about mile 20, where I was a few minutes up on last year,  and then the 'wheels fell off'  and I struggled on the last climb.  Surely a sign of a lack of training miles.

The up side was a win in the over 75 category and a lead of  34 minutes ahead of the over 70 winner.  That, tied to a first half marathon time of a few seconds over 2 hrs  and a finishing position in the top half of the field,  made the outing worthwhile and probably meriting a return visit next year.

3 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

I'm sure that you'll all want me to add your congratulations to mine on YJ's fine performance over this tough marathon course. I'll also thank him for not mentioning my DNF, the first I have ever posted for the marathon distance. I thought I'd done enough training to get me round, but on the day there was nothing there.
It's also worth mentioning the lady winner, Joanne Nelson of Darwen Dashers who ran just a few seconds under 3:04 - I didn't know they had that quality of runner - well done that lass!

t'Yorkshireman said...

Well done YJ. As always you get an outstanding result (yet you still want more!)

Matt said...

For a man of your tender years anything over four hours is just not on YJ. You're just not trying and I'm disappointed in you. Seriously - Absolutely tremendous.