Friday, August 19, 2016

BOFRA

Last Saturday I ran my first ever BOFRA race at Arncliffe gala. For those of you who are not familiar with BOFRA races, they tend to be short, sharp and brutal, and Arncliffe was no exception.
Now short sharp races are not really my thing but Arncliffe is near here and the BOFRA Chairman is a friend of mine, so I entered. The race was only 1.7 miles but had 500 ft of climbing. The first quarter of a mile was along a muddy lane then it ramped up. At the top of the climb there was a tricky half mile circuit around a rocky summit before the plunge back down.  The mathematicians amongst you will have worked out that the climb was about 0.35 miles long and therefore very steep indeed. However, living up here my descending skills have improved, so it wasn't too bad and afterwards I reckoned that I had enjoyed the experience.
One interesting point, there were 12 V60s in a field of 98, showing that old fell runners keep going on and on.

No comments: