Friday, June 10, 2016

Two Out Of Four Ain't Good.

The four being The Austwick Amble, Henderson's End, Holcombe Two Towers and Two Lads. My plan was to do all four but circumstances dictated otherwise. The Amble was successfully completed in (for me) a good time despite the heat and the hard ground. Knowing that the last two miles were track and road, I gambled on the lack of rain and ran in road shoes. The gamble paid off as I went past half a dozen runners in the last mile and beat my target time.
Our Rebecca had come up for half-term and we decided to do Henderson's End. The plan was to run together as she was worried about her lack of hill training (a bit tricky on Worthing sea front), so being a loving father I duly waited for her until we reached the trig pillar. At that point, she decided that she would forget the old man and off she went! It made the second half of the race very interesting as she got away from me on the road and track bits and I gained on her on the two climbs and the rough stuff. However, the steps off the Pike did for me and Rebecca finished a minute ahead (and was 1st LV35).
Two down, two to go. However, it was not to be. Four weeks ago on the M5, an idiot driving a black Toyota swerved accross two lanes and hit the back of our car. He didn't stop but luckily we got his registration and a witness stopped to offer her help. All is now sorted except for my neck. For ten days it was very painful and then seemed to clear up. But this Tuesday I had to go for a medical assessment for the insurance company and since then my neck has been too sore to run. So no Holcombe and no Two Lads.
Next year??

2 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Tough luck Chris, hope there's no long term effect.

TLoB said...

Thanks Ed. I am confident there wont be. I went to the physio Monday and then the medical assessment Tuesday, and I think the combined effect aggravated it. I ran this morning with no obvious ill effect.
catch up soon I hope
Chris