Saturday, June 11, 2016

A nice day in Yorkshire

In an effort to get myself back on track and as a sort of recovery run after the arduous near 46 hours of completing my first hundred.
I had hoped there would be a contingent of wfdbwgua contributors but on the day it was just TLoB and I, as TM was a dns due to her recurring foot problem.
I believe around 140 started in the event, with a mix of four distances and also a mix of runners and walkers. Setting off with quite a few making a fast pace in front, once an opportunity arose (the early bit goes through a narrow ginnel), I stopped and waited for TLoB was also accompanied by a young lady, Clare, from Settle Harriers. We then got into a rhythm and could see the quicker ones heading off in front, only to be caught when they went off route, something which TLoB was very familiar with.
The first checkpoint at Feizor arrived, nice flapjack and orange. Then it was a case of one path to Austwick and over to Clapham, more flapjack and orange, where we set off back with a climb over Oxenber Wood to return to Feizor and more flapjack and orange (think they also had choc chip cookies).
The return to Settle for Chris and Clare was via Little Stainforth for them to complete their 16 mile route in 3 hrs 11 minutes. I then continued with a chap from Burnley through Stainforth and passing Victoria Cave and Attermire Scar. A slight misinterpretation of the route instructions meant that we took the long way round via Stockdale Lane and by this time there were four of us. Have realised the error of our ways, I pressed on (only a quick stop at the next CP for flapjack) and got a bit of a gap so that it was purely dependent on my own interpretation. This seemed to work fairly well as I negotiated the southern end of the Saunter through Cleatop Wood and followed the route arriving some time ahead of them, finishing just inside 5 hours and having eaten my meal (the steak pie was very good quality) before they arrived.
Of the 38 on the long course, I was the second home at the finish, a bit unusual for me even where there is a mix of runners and walkers. My route was 23.8 miles with just under 2900ft of ascent, finishing 5 seconds inside 5 hours.
TM - a look at the flybys is quite interesting - for once I held back early on and didn't go flying off on the easy running bits.
An event that needs more support - they asked feedback and we can give it. One is that I like flapjacks but if you don't?
Weather was warm and humid early on with a nice cooling breeze once in more exposed areas. Hopefully there may be some photos that I can link to.

7 comments:

TLoB said...

I must point out that I am familiar WITH the route, not going off the route. A good day out in beautiful countryside. A quote from Claire "Your friend seems nice but isn't he an awkward runner!"

Ed the Unready said...

'...an event that needs more support...' - not easy when we don't know what it was!

t'Yorkshireman said...

TLoB - that's what I said "route, something which TLoB was very familiar with." - not that you were familiar with going off route, maybe I'll add "the" as extra clarification"
Ed, Thought I or TM had posted about the event but apparently not. Sure I had mentioned it at some time.

Ed the Unready said...

YES! but what is/was it?

TLoB said...

It is not really a race,more a fund raising event for local charities. You can either walk or run, and there is a choice of distances, 9, 12, 16 or 22 miles. I can recommend the 16 mile route. It would be good to have your company next time

Ed the Unready said...

Yerbut, DOES IT HAVE A NAME?

Temporarily Misplaced said...

It was the Settle Saunter. Gutted I couldn't do it.