Sunday, March 27, 2016

Pike Race

One of my ambitions for 2016 is to do as many Horwich races as possible, so yesterday I drove the 50 miles down from Settle along with Anne and my clubmate Richard who I had persuaded to also do the race.
The weather was not as nice as last year but from the runners point of view it turned out to be an unexpected bonus. After the usual pleasantries(??!!) had been exchanged we lined up on Lever Park Avenue read for the off. t'Y set off next to me but quickly dropped me before we reached the school. However, as soon as it ramped up I started passing people, partly thanks to being able to train on the steeper hills at home and partly because I was being blown by the wind. I got to the top in just under 17 mins and didn't lose any places on the steep part of the descent. But as soon as the upper quarry was passed my lack of leg speed came into play and I lost about half a dozen places before the finish. But I was over two minutes faster than last year, so I was well pleased.
TYC was first home from wfdbwgua in the excellent time of 21.35. A long way behind were my good self in 27.13, t'Y in 28.21, YJ (1st V75) in 31.56 and EtU in 36.15. (My apologies if I have missed anyone). My thanks to Horwich RMI for putting the race on, a  good day out .

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Worth a mention that TLoB was second counter in the Settle Vets' team that placed 14th in the Vets and Mary W was third counter in the winning Horwich open ladies team at the ripe old age of (your guess is as good as mine).