Sunday, March 13, 2016

Black Combe Sat 12th March 2016 (Championship Fell Race)

I'll be the first to admit that preparation this year had lacked a little focus. The foot square weighing machine in the bathroom had been side-stepped every morning and the 'winter' work uniform was still in use past the first day of Spring.

So the beginning of the week saw me fretting about cut-off times, something I'd thought would be a few years away for this race. For the un-initiated, this race starts with a 150m dash across a farmer's field, jumping a 4ft wide ditch with the aim to be first through a 10ft wide gate. It's a bit of a crush with an average entry of 120, this year the entry was 700+! Even allowing for a 25% drop-out rate come race day, it was going to be 5x the number to squeeze through. Despite the weekly track sessions at Sport City, it'd be unlikely I'd be elbowing the likes of Rob Hope and Ian Holmes out of the way. At best guess it would be probably 10mins before I was out through the gate.

By Tuesday a rainbow had appeared over the gloom. The RO's instructions had arrived via email and the Ladies were being set off ahead of the Men. Chivalry prevails in the sport of Fell Running!

Race day arrived. After 6 years of practice the weather was perfect, wall to wall CLAG!! Vic Wilkinson of Bingley led us ladies off at 12:00pm, the men followed 10 mins later. Vic demonstrated a master class in fell running, leading from the front and running the whole route on her own, and finishing before the men. The leading male group ran round in a trio. Need I say anymore!!!

Further back, well given the weather you'd  expect a few tales of woe and as they say every picture paints a 1000 words. Below is a Strava trace of those brave enough to post.



For my part of the proceedings, it was interesting racing against the Blokes usually 10mins ahead. Amusing to be passed for a 2nd time by the same ones. Particularly glad of the Cow Bell calling us in to the last CP on the south summit of Black Combe (vis down to 20m). Twitchy on the final path descent (having fallen on similar terrain 1 months previously). Not so amusing to realise I'd created Mea Culpa by missing the turn off for the last bit, almost heading back to CP1, before correcting myself. I'd been running on the RHS of the path to avoid all the slippy/trippy stuff and hadn't realised the turn off was so easy to miss. Won't be doing that again. Thankfully it was only a slight detour and I didn't lose any places because of it.

For those who enjoy a few stats the results are now on the race website which can be found at www.blackcombe.fellrace.org.uk

Not quite a PW for me, but it was close, a matter of 16 secs. A slow, steady performance all things considered. Still ranking as my favourite race. Long may it continue (fitness permitting)

TF

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Yes, Black Combe is a great race, glad you enjoyed it. I live in hope that I'll be fit enough for a couple more A Mediums.