Monday, February 08, 2016

Mickleden Straddle Sun 7th Feb (23k/741m)

Thankfully the weather Sheffield way hadn't lived up to it's billing. Wind speeds had settled to a stiff breeze and there was even a glimpse of sunshine. If I got my skates on I'd be back before the rain hit.

New for this year was a cut-off time of 75mins at the first CP. Now that would seem a bit generous for just over 6k, but the closer you get to the CP, the wetter and rougher the path becomes. An added bonus of running into the wind too!

Denby Dale (host club) have taken the course map off their website so in lieu of this I've posted a link to a trace of the route http://www.raceroutes.co.uk/route/1261/1275/mickleden-straddle

The route looks like an upside down lollipop. The best and sweetest bit being the bottom loop. The 'stick' being the part that required the most concentration. I think I got my pacing about right to the first CP, leaving about 5 mins to spare. There was still plenty of running after this without starting out with an 'eyeballs out' effort. The loop returned to CP1 as CP5, I passed one runner just after leaving this first CP and then another just after the third and that was it for 17k. I could see other runners in the distance but they seemed too far away to make a serious attempt at trying to catch up and overtake.

A lapse of concentration on the final return leg lead to a damaged TF. Don't think I was the only casualty. I tripped and fell, landing with a small rock right in front of my face, part of which made contact with my front right upper incisor. Thankfully it was only a light tap, but I feared the worse. After stopping to have a feel round with finger and tongue, I was relieved to find it was likely to be just a minimal fracture off the corner of the tooth. But the sharp edge had caught my lower lip and this was bleeding.

I eased off the pace a little in the final couple of miles, primarily to make sure I didn't fall again to inflict further damage and secondly to avoid pumping too much blood out and coming in looking like the Rocky Horror Show.

Back at the car in 3hrs:16, I was able to inspect the damage fully. With most of the blood cleaned off, this was what I found.




With a bit diy with one of these this morning


Image result for soflex discs
The tooth is sorted, but the lip may take a few days yet though. I count myself very fortunate to have got off this lightly, I repair a lot worse on a regular basis on kids coming through the clinic



TF


3 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Why are your gums blue?

Toothfairy said...

It's not a picture of my teeth. The blue bit is something called 'rubber dam' or probably show be call 'dental dam - latex free'

Anonymous said...

Glad you're OK and didn't suffer the same fate as SN :-/