Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Two Go Running in the Duddon Valley

As planned, YJ and I travelled up to Seathwaite on Saturday.

YJ was scheduled to run what we have dubbed the Harter Triangle, and set off for this soon after we arrived. This is a road run, heading north to Cockley Beck, then west over Hardknott to the King George IV at Eskdale Green, then south over the Birker Fell road to Ulpha, thence north up the Duddon Valley and back to Seathwaite - wow! Just a few yards short of 20 miles, a training run in preparation for his two hilly autumn marathons.

I targetted the Turner Landscape and found a collection of old friends either preparing to run, or supporting this well organised race. I spoke to the RO and explained that I may not beat the cut-offs and asked what the marshalls would be expecting me to do in this eventuality. Mike said that as the day was fine, and providing I didn't keep folk out on the fells too long past their scheduled time, I was welcome to trundle round the course, although I should consider bypassing Coniston Old Man if I was well off the pace.

I made Grey Friar spot on the cut-off and accompanied by a friendly marshall reached Swirl How with a few minutes to spare. With only about 20 minutes before I was due on the Old Man, I took Mike's advice and gave it a miss, and headed straight for Dow where I was pleased to see Ian and Pauline. I think that they were also pleased to see me, in that as the last 'runner' on the course, they had been kind enough to wait for me. Ian ran most of the way to White Pike with me,  just leaving me behind when two of his clubmates, Emma and Yannis, the COM marshalls, caught us up. I was chided by said pair for not visiting their summit and then we all made our way back from the last summit. Some confusion on the run in when I tried to follow the final flagged section, as the flags had by then been gathered in. Undeterred, I zig-zagged down to the finish to be met by a round of applause and to record yet another DNF. Some mickey taking from the Bowland ladies, who seemed keen to inspect my nether regions (this was not allowed), but a very good natured end to a great day out.

YJ had been back for some time, and reported that although he had found the Harter Triangle hard, he had completed it comfortably under four hours and thus put another useful collection of miles under his belt.

Another good day out - I plan to compete again next next year, and this time to appear in the results.

No comments: