Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sedbergh

It is few years since I last ran Sedbergh Hills. As it was in this year's club championship, I thought I would give it a go. Not a big field, and could only see Rudolf and Lawrence from the club at the start. Also had a  nice chat with James Logue. Eventually we were away and the long climb to Arant Haw was underway. I ran much of that with Lawrence close by and reached CP1 with a few behind me. The descent to the stream crossing brought my usual lack of expertise and by then I think was solid last. I overtook a couple on the climb to CP2 but one took a better line han me on the way to CP3 as I followed the next runner in the distance. 
By the time I reached CP3 I was 22 minutes over the cutoff but the marshals used their discretion to let me continue as I was feeling fine, had full body cover as well as the route on my phone, which was also tracking me. CP3 to CP4 was horrendous as I was so far adrift that I had to constantly check the route. The GPX track was particularly useful as that stretch is generally devoid of paths but it did add a fair bit of time. I reached CP4 in 3 hrs 24 having run 9 miles : in my younger days I would have been on my final descent after that time.
At last I could put my phone away as the route was now straightforward to CP5 and CP6. It is just a long  gradual climb to CP5 but although you can see a long way up the route, I could see nobody ahead. It was just case of head down and keep going. I reached CP5 and asked how far ahead the next runners were, expecting a response of 10 or 20 minutes. I was a bit gobsmacked to get the answer that my clubmate was about 100 yards ahead. Within a few seconds I could see Lawrence so I obviously increased my effort. On the next climb I caught him and he was obviously struggling a little. I was now enjoying my running and powered onto Winder but aware that anyone could catch me on the descent. Although I didn't take the best route which meant that Lawrence could have overtaken me without my knowledge, I managed to get to the finish for a PW (ignoring one retirement) of 4hrs 54. At lease i had done the last 6 miles in 90 minutes for which I was quite happy. Lawrence had not finished. I waited for him and he arrived some 8 minutes later after which we were plied with tea and cakes. Results not yet published but I know we were the last two, although I believe a couple behind me were still due at CP3 assumedly retired.

No comments: