Monday, July 06, 2015

Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon 4/5th July 2015

The build up to this race had started at Easter when I noted that the only female competitor entered on the Pillar course I had just beaten in a 2 day orienteering event. I hadn't got one of the specific qualifying events listed by the organizers to acquire an entry, (lots of other stuff) but thought I could use this information if I required. So entry applied and accepted, no questions asked.

So the training for 2 long days in the hills started with the GL3D, then Helvellyn & Dodds, Duddon and finally Great Lakes, with a little trip out with YJ for good measure. I also had to practice marking up a map with controls using the provided GR's, something I'd never had to do before for a MM. I'd read plenty horror stories about people plotting controls in the wrong place or missing them off entirely. The Pillar course is a bit of a 'hybrid'. You're provided with a list of controls for the day which you can visit in any order. The pairs courses follow a prescribed order of controls.

I had a 8;25am start, KLM started nearly 30 mins later. I was a complete bundle of nerves, it was just like being back at school doing exams when the teacher says 'you can turn over your paper now'. When I tell you that one of the control descriptions was 'hill' you can imagine that the course planner was probably having a bit of a laugh at our expense. Adding to the fact that visibility was poor, the proverbial 'needle in haystack' came to mind. I spent ages plotting the controls and an equally long time trying to find the first two, and we hadn't got more than 2 miles form the start! I seriously considered throwing in the towel at that point, but thought I'd give finding another one a go. And so it went on until I bumped into KLM on the way to my 7th one. It was heartening to hear he (experienced Saunders competitor) was finding it as tough navigationally as I was. We commiserated with each other and cursed the planner. Without his considerable help I'd have certainly taken a lot longer finding number 7 and 8. Here we parted, dictated by the fact that he had to go and find a control I'd visited earlier in the day.

After 7hr52mins I crossed the finish line for Day1. Epic. At that point I was 8th and the first of the ladies back. By the end of the evening I'd dropped to 9th but still remained 1st Lady with a margin of nearly 40mins. KLM had predicted he'd be out about an hour longer than me, he was nearly right.

The overnight camp was at High Tilberthwaite. A beautiful spot in the sunshine, which we had in abundance for the rest of the evening. However hard a time me and KLM had on our course, it wasn't nearly as bad as those doing Klets or Harter who had to contend with a control that had been nicked. Can't begin to imagine how frustrating that would have been. It left the organizers a tricky conundrum as regards the results for these two courses, especially the Klets who like us on Pillar took their controls in any order.

Day 2 proved to be an easier day all round. We could see where we were going and the distance was shorter. KLM set off first this time. He had a couple of better route choices than me early on and then chose to collect the last 3 controls in a different order to me. He was back at base queuing for his food when I crossed the line, having had a much better 2nd day.  I wasn't allowed to join the food queue but was ushered to one side by the organizers. It was like coming through customs at the airport, there was something to declare and they wanted to look in my bag.

What was there to declare?

I was FIRST LADY!!!!!!!

Results are on SLMM website, and sometime later this week there'll be a photo of me with my prize. I would show it you, but I've drunk it already.

TF

2 comments:

KLM said...

Nice one TF! Thanks for disguising my poor effort. In hindsight it was a good challenging event. Don't worry about taking your time plotting grid references better to be careful; like the saying goes"measure twice and cut once".

TLoB said...

Brilliant effort TF, I am delighted for you.