Monday, June 01, 2015

Long (but not for long) Duddon

Subtitled:- Hope Springs Eternal

I last completed the long race in 2010 and was timed out in both 2011 and 2014, completing the short race (with a little help from my friends) in 2012 and 2013 - so why on earth I saw fit to enter the long race this year, your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, enter I did, more in hope than expectation, and in due course, toed the line with about 350 others.

TF remained in view for at least the first 15 minutes. By the top of Grassguards she was long gone and I was last, although I was subsequently passed, at intervals, by three separate runners, presumably they had all missed the start. Harter was reached in 1:15 and Hardknott in 2:08. The Hardknott marshals told me that although I was outside the 2 hour cut-off, I could continue if I wished; but they went on to say that I was already 25 minutes behind the penultimate runner. With that information on board, I agreed that it would be unfair to keep the Little Stand marshals out for what would be at least another half hour to see through a 'runner' who would no doubt be compulsorily retired at the The Shire Stone.

I retraced my steps to Hardknott Pass and turned down the road for a couple of hundred yards before taking a bridle path on the right which passed through Black Hall (farm) on it's way to the river, thus bypassing Cockley Beck. The route became a pleasant riverside path and I eventually joined the road a couple of miles outside Seathwaite.

So, a disappointing, if not unexpected, result, but happily sandwiched within a very enjoyable days outing. Good to see TF finishing the long race in a very respectable time, YJ picking up his reward for being the oldest short course finisher and Botters acquitting himself admirably in his first Lakeland race; well done all three!

I was stood near to Rob Hope just before the prizegiving and asked him how he had got on. 'I won.' was his brief reply - nuff said.

TF, did you really descend from Caw in 13 minutes?

No comments: