Monday, May 04, 2015

Horwich Tri Sunday 3rd May

A few days before this one I'd said to YJ that as I'd made no progress with moving from the breaststroke to freestyle, and am tiring of trailing along at the back of every cycling group that I've ever ridden with, I was planning to give up on my triathlon aspirations.

A forecast of foul weather for Sunday, followed by a restless Saturday night as I fretted over my preparations for the following day (yes, TF, I do sometimes make preparations) was firming my resolve to rid myself of this obsession.

Heavy rain falling at 5:30 on Sunday morning nearly had me crawling back into my pit, but I resolved to at least toe the line (or maybe only the poolside) and I reported to Horwich  Liesure Centre at 7:20 as instructed. At that point I considered leaving the bike in the car, and just doing the swim,but knowing that our eldest was also entered, I decided I must man up and do the full thing.

An hour and 20 minutes later saw me riding up Chorley Old Road with a smile on my face and pains in both my thighs.

Several (!) hours later saw me having finished in yet another Personal Worst, about 45 minutes behind Rachel, but having beaten three (yes, three!) senior men and secured first place in the Vintage category - when's the next one?

No comments: