Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Found this race report on Carnethy's web site which had me in fits of giggles. It's not strictly fell running but thought I'd share!


PSWorks-60578
Bob Johnson, thinly disguised as the “Bobstrich” (many thanks Phillipa for the excellent name) took London by surprise on Sunday morning. With an Ostrich costume that covered his head-plus-torso but not much else he galloped into the Guinness Book of World Records for the “fastest marathon as a three-dimensional bird”. His finish time of 5hrs 50mins was well inside the 7 hours stipulated by Guinness for the new record.
 

Bob takes up the story:

“My first scare was at 0430am on the Saturday before the race when the newly-constructed box would not fit inside my car! This was resolved with 50m of 9mm climbing rope and a hellishly large bow-tie. My second scare occurred at Edinburgh airport at 0530am when Flybe check-in staff said “Forget it – that won’t go in” when they saw the coffin-shaped Ostrich box. It did go through the X-ray machine but only just. My next scare occurred at 930am on Sunday morning just 40 minutes before the start when the Ostrich weighed in at 18 pounds and thus TOO LIGHT for the new record attempt of a three-dimensional bird OVER 20-pounds. This was resolved with the addition of 4 water/energy drink bottles.

Race went great and loads of people seemed to love the ostrich and/or my “display” of legginess. Final scare occurred going back through London City Airport security when the Ostrich coffin got stuck in the X-ray machine and I was also asked about several “offending items” located in my carry-on. Those offending items being (a) a quantity of cable ties (b) pozi-drive screwdriver (c) semi-opaque ladies tights (d) 3m elastic shock cord (e) length of 6mm nylon rope. On “inspection” I was also found to have “carpet burns” on my elbows. The ostrich costume (and the resulting elbow injuries) seemed to get me off as long as the chap called “Trigger” working the x-ray machine could have my mobile number”.

MASSIVE thanks to all those who donated to “The Children’s Trust” (75%) and “The Shakespeare Hospice” (25%)”…

No comments: