Sunday, January 11, 2015

Firbank (TF version)

As TLofB has already alluded to, the weather was atrocious. I have learnt from last years series, you arrive early to get a parking spot near to registration, pay your £3 and then catch up on a bit of reading until timing it right to venture back out of the car in time for the pre-race head count.

Those who are slightly less 'risk-adverse' arrive late, parking their car in a spot that 'Mum/Dad's taxi' has vacated. This can work equally well as the bloke in the Farrier's van that parked in front of me can attest to.

Today's race required full FRA gear. Mine was easy to see as I was wearing most of it, with my club vest worn over my waterproof jacket as there wasn't a cat in hells chance the jacket was coming off! TLofB was opting for a more 'incognito' method, until that is he opened his mouth (nuff said!!!). It was a very brief hello, and we were off.

I'd been given a verbal description of the route from Anna (Helm Hill) last week, so arrived with my head in gear for a 2 lapper. Having been pipped by Anna by over a minute last week, I was pleased to catch her on the 2nd lap and arrive back about 30 secs in front. Orocs and waterproof socks were a good choice this week.

It's going to take a lot more to catch TLofB, but I could stand a chance at Cautley, but definitely Yarlside. Looking forward to next week at Giggleswick, if it's the same course as last year it's an absolute little cracker. Hope to see TLofB on his home turf sporting his new club colours.

All the details about the races can be found on the Helm Hill website, including maps of the courses.

TF

No comments: