Sunday, November 16, 2014

Running Down

Now I know that I only occasionally manage to turn out on a Saturday morning, so I am probably not in the best position to comment, but I have to say that the world as we know it was turned on it's axis yesterday. We started off downhill!!!!


It was Jim's idea, and it was a good one, to do a loop of lower Rivington via the castle, so that we were properly warmed up by the time we started climbing. There were just four takers yesterday, Jim (does he have a moniker yet?), YJ, EtU and my good self. Somehow we even managed to get separated before we reached the Devil's Steps (Jim and I were chatting and hadn't noticed that the others were not behind us (our excuse was that it was the first time this century we had seen each other so we had a lot of catching up to do!) We split at this point with the brothers Swift going directly to the Pike whilst Jim and I went via Wilderswood. At the Pike we saw several sturdy souls taking part in 5 marathons in 5 days.


On the descent, we had the pleasure of meeting JtE and we stopped for a chat. Suitably inspired we went to Two Lads and then the mast. Here Jim turned for home and EtU suggested a timed descent from the trig pillar to the wooden bridge on George's Lane. TM's record is still intact as I managed 7.07 with both EtU and YJ showing more sense in the conditions (it was very misty and very wet underfoot) and taking a more cautious approach.


We then went to Noon hill but had problems locating the path towards the Pike (as I said, it was very misty). Eventually we found it and followed the new(to me) and drier (??) route which takes the higher ground and leads directly to the stile below the Pike. Up the Pike again and back to the Lower Barn . En our way down we met Mrs t'Y and stopped for another chat (it seems t'Y was being force fed nutrition bars - I await his report with both interest and trepidation).  At the barn I was collected by SWINW and for once I was in her good books for being on time.


An excellent morning out with a bit over 10 miles to put in the diary. Thanks to Jim, John and Ed for the pleasure of their company, and I will look forward to seeing you all again in December

No comments: