Monday, July 14, 2014

TF's Update

Etu has asked me post on the blog 'cos he says you're not taking his word for it that he hasn't buried me somewhere up on Winter Hill after I chastised him yet again for the lack of appropriate kit for fell running (more of this later!).
 
Races completed
 
Sat 21st June - Reservoir Bogs
 
Maps given on the day, option of an early start (which I took) and a new twist this year in that the first CP was compulsory and the rest could be taken in any order. Not having one of my better days picking the right way or choosing the right path.
 
Sun 29th June - Allerdale Chase
 
Long 'O' type event in the forest/fells around Whinlatter. Weather was nice. KLM also competed. The open fell wasn't the nice grassy running I was hoping for. Blisters galore, meant I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to return to explore the area again!
 
Thurs 3rd July Tockholes
 
A new evening slot, and a new route. EtU and Steve were in attendance. The RO was initially sticking to FRA rules and insisting on runners carrying kit (think back, it was sunny with a slight breeze). Steve had at least brought a bum bag, if only for his car keys and phone. EtU had nothing. Yours truly supplied both with a Jacket (size 8s!)to comply with the rules (as well taking full waterproof kit, map + compass).
 
Sat 5th July Heptonstall Grand Depart
 
This had temporarily moved to an evening slot to coincide with the Tour de France coming through the Calder Valley area on the Sunday. Lovely evening sunshine, a tough 6 miles, 3 very leery Nuns directing runners through the woods! (see Woodentops website for photos). Camping overnight for £1 (parking field) so I could go watch TdF on the Sunday.
 
Sat 12th July Wharfedale TTT Race 2
 
A 12m run from Kettlewell in the Yorkshire Dales. Hard work in the heat. Route changes every year, but this seemed similar to the route I ran the previous time I did this in 2007. Over 30mins slower, so not impressed given that back then I'd had little experience of steep climbs.
 
I'm now about a third of the way through phase 1 of my training programme. Phase 1 is weight loss, Phase 2 is speed. Ultimate aim is to get myself back to 2011 fitness for 2015. I'm up in the Lakes this weekend so won't be at utup.
 
TF
112, 12 to go

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

1. Shouldn't weight loss be spread right through the programme, rather than all scheduled at an early stage?

2. 112, 12 to go - ???

3. No-one had suggested that you may be hidden under the peat, but now that it has been suggested...