Saturday, June 14, 2014

Howtown Fell Race Sat 14th June (20.6k/1415m)

Well after last year I said I'd give this one another go.

The race had been brought forward from it's usual August slot and it seemed to have quite an effect on the numbers attending. Clear summits and I still wouldn't be able to see the runners in front after the first CP.

Never mind, I could console myself with a race against the clock. New for this year were cut-off times. Easy ones to remember 1 hour for each summit (Loadpot, High Raise, Place Fell and Hallin Fell).

This is where all that practice doing orienteering 'score' events comes in to play. I've learnt to hone my skill at judging how long it'll take me to cover certain sections on the map. It was pretty obvious that I wouldn't get from High Raise to Place Fell in an hour. The climb alone from Boredale Hause would take probably 30mins.

So working back from my 3hr cut-off on Place Fell, I knew I'd have to be at BH in 2hrs 30mins if it was going to be worth doing the climb. I reckoned I'd need to clear High Raise with approx 20mins to spare to do this. If I cleared all the cut-offs I was going to end up with a time about 30mins quicker than last year!!

So how did I do?

Loadpot 47mins
High Raise 1hr 32mins
(Boredale Hause 2hr 20mins)
Place Fell 2hr 50mins
Hallin Fell 3hr 47mins

Not sure of exact finish time as I was more interested in getting a drink (it was thirsty work out there today), but definitely under 4:10, and last finisher.

I don't think I could have paced it any better. The grassy trod from Angle Tarn I recced last year with EtU and YJ worked a treat. Thanks Lads!

It was a beautiful day out on the hills. Lovely views. I struggled a bit on the road section at the end, but a bit fitter I could definitely see a sub 4hr.

Many thanks to all those who helped put the race on. Hopefully they'll all be there again next year.

TF

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Glad the recce was useful.