Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mount Famine Sat 17th May (8k/564m)

I've done a fair few races from around the Hayfield area but never managed this one. It takes in the 2 summits that are closest to the A624, namely Mount Famine and the slightly higher South Head.

I arrived at the start to find a very orderly line of runners spaced along the Bridleway at the bottom of Elle Bank (wooded area near the Hayfield C&CC campsite). It looked a bit strange, would normally expect little huddles of runners for the pre-race natter. All became apparent though when the RO started gesticulating to the vertiginous wooded bank to our right. It explained why no one seemed to be taking much interest in running up and down the path. This was going to be the steepest start to a fell race I'd done to date, I was just grateful my first go was in a 'dry year'. A 'wet year' and the Orocs would definitely be the shoe of choice.

Once at the top of the bank we joined the regular path through the wood to gain access to the ridge to Mount Famine. Out of the woods it was warm and with not much of a breeze. If racing in these conditions for the first time this year wasn't hard enough, we had to contend with an abundance of flies and other flying insects on the way to this first summit. Given I'd slapped on a liberal dose of sun lotion meant that they didn't bounce off when they hit me. No wonder the marshall on South Head checked if I was ok, must have looked like I'd got the plague by the time I got there.

A loop down to the bottom of the valley, a grateful slurp from the stream, and back up to the summit of Mount Famine allowed me to forgo last place. The flies seemed worse on the return run along the ridge, so was glad to reach the wood again and then on to the finish back at the village playing field.

An 1hr21 for 5 miles (winner 43mins)! Hard work, but has to be done.

TF

No comments: