Monday, April 14, 2014

Springing into Lakeland

Yesterday saw YJ and I up at Ambleside for this LDWA. YJ may not know I was there. Due to Canine issues, I arrived at 7:50 to find the car park full so had to find a space on Upper Loughrigg, registering as the masses, or rather 76, set off. Away about 10 minutes after them (Garmin shows 8:07, I then decided to move my car into a less risky spot further up the lane. John was running, but I had come down with a cold on Tuesday and was in no state to run : had it beenSaturday I don't think I would have even done the walk. I didn't have the honour of being last starter as two female runners with dogs were even later than me and passed me on the road up to Loughrigg. I caught the backmarkers by the chalets and walked with them through Skelwith Bridge, eventually catching a few more on the way to the Coniston Fells.
It was only at Coniston that I found out how few were in the event and that JW had passed through about 80 minutes earlier. This was definitely an event where you needed to refer to the route instructions and even then it was easy to veer off on different paths, eventually reaching your destination, notably the route to Tarn Hows.
I great day out and I'm glad I turned up. Garmin shows my distance as 23.6 miles in 8hrs 11 mins with 7149ft of climb : I'd be interested in what YJ's shows and his route choices.
A few photos of the day (the bird of prey looks very realistic but somewhat wooden):








No comments: