Sunday, March 02, 2014

Black Combe Sat 1st March

One of my fav races this one. I also had potential cracker of a race in the Kendal Winter League lined up for the day after. So to avoid clocking too many miles on the car I opted for a stop over in a Kendal B&B for the weekend.

I was expecting a 2hr+ time and that's what I got. With sportident timing it does allow you to analyse strengths and weakness and this year with out a doubt the weak bits far out-shone the strengths. The only strength I can consider was, turning up!

My times have yo-yo'd somewhat. Starting in 2009 with a DNF, 2010 with 2:16, 2011 - 1:52, 2012 -  1:59, 2013 - 1:54 and finially 2014 - 2:07. Hardly consistent racing and not looking good for Edale in 3 weeks.

Nice to see TYC out having another go (believe it or not I beat him last year!), his finish time was heading in a better direction to mine full results here http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=2241

Cautley (KWL) Sun 2nd March
 


Another day, another race. Speaking to one of the Dallam ladies the day before, she assured me this would be just as good as Barbondale.


The seniors race was heading up a different hill to the juniors.

At 12:00pm the juniors could see the top of their hill (photo taken from the road looking northwest)
 
 
Unluckily for us seniors, ours was blanketed in mist (photo taken from the road looking west - farm in the foreground is marked on the map)
 
On the way up, us back markers noted the varying routes the front runners were coming down. Some almost opting to follow the blue line on the map. There were markers all the way up, so could only guess they'd run out for the route down. Having only just past Anna (Helm Hill lady) about 100m shy of the turning point I wasn't taking any chances so had my compass at the ready.
 
Fears unfounded. Got the 'flagged' down route spot on, but it did need a couple glances at the compass. I could see why the unwary had managed to veer off though. Just didn't have enough oomph on the last flat bit to put another lady between me and Anna. My 100% record is still intact, but it was a close run thing.




Despite the disappointment with my current level of fitness, it was a good weekend of racing and will definitely be looking to book again for next year.

This weeks challange - sort the mid week training regime out. It clearly isn't working.

TF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Soundly beaten last year too TF. My climbing has improved but not enough for my plans. Well done on getting out and getting two races done in a weekend!