Monday, February 24, 2014

High Cup Nick and next week

A quick report on Saturday's venture to High Cup Nick. Having been told by EtU and TF that this one is a good race and that setting is impressive I thought I'd head up for my first race of the year, just to clarify, I count the Amble as a failed long training run due to calf trouble and feeling very nauseous before the ramp (or something like that).

Decent weather on the day: clear, dry if a little boggy underfoot and with a helpful strong wind to blow everyone along the valley and up the Nick itself. However on the way in that same wind was horrendous and I could feel my jaw locking up while losing the feeling in my fingers despite my "windstopper" gloves.

Two out from Horwich in the forms of Fellephant and myself but there were familiar faces from Preston and one Bowlander who'd clearly neglected Bleasdale. The usual Lakeland clubs were there, Keswick and Helm Hill out in force and I did have a quick chat with my AL race navigator, Wendy. 

At the time of writing only the top 50 results are out here. Slightly annoying as I was 53rd in 1:20:06, not sure what Felle's time was yet, will have to wait for the full results. I took a shot of the board before leaving though I'm not sure how clear it will be on here. Rhys Findlay-Robinson was the winner in 1:04:53 so not near the record but Victoria Wilkinson of Bingley broke the ladies record. I believe that 244 took part so I was just outside the top 20% in roughly 125% of the winning time. Not bad, though I wanted better.


A fun day out and a few pics can be found here;

and the albums on Facebook
HCN1
HCN2

For some reason this one is a personal favourite, the illusion of leading....

Black Combe and Cloud 9 next weekend in a repeat of last year so that should be interesting. Who else is doing either or both?

2 comments:

Ed the Unready said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Andy; expect top 20% soon! Fitness coming back a bit slowly so I'm probably not racing 1st/2nd March. When are you going to publish your planned BG date?

Unknown said...

Let me know if you change plans on the 1st.

Date is the 14th June, I'd say spread the word but I think low key is better!