Sunday, December 08, 2013

Mytholmroyd Fell Race Sun 8th Dec (11.3k/411m)

As usual a Halifax Harriers productions run with military precision. Everyone had to present full kit prior to registering for the race. Bear in in mind this is a BM, but it is winter and there is a confusing array of footpaths on the top of Midgely Moor that catches out some locals on misty days.

The start and finish coincided with a couple of other races organized from Mytholmroyd, so I knew that after a very short steep climb through the woods of probably 200m we pop out onto green pastures through a kissing gate, one by one.

So 100-odd runners causes a bottle-neck. So positioned myself a good 20-30 places ahead of where I  normally should be and prepared myself for a bit of lactic burn up. What I need to practice for is the next 500m climb to the next obstacle (stile). But by the time I reached it we were fairly spread out an the queue numbered 3.

The organizer had done a splendid job flagging and marshalling the route (shame, map reading skills not required today) and yours truly returned just a tad over 80mins after I'd left. Winner managed 48mins. Results here http://fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=2191

Dave and Eileen Woodhead were out on the course taking photos so hope they don't mind but here I am on the outward part, Stoodley Pike on the hill in the background


Do I look any more tired in this one? Almost back to the finish, 1m of downhill to go.



At this point the runner in front was a good 200m ahead, by the finish I was nearly close enough to push her over the line.

TF

No comments: