Tuesday, December 31, 2013


Festive Disorientation 2013

Not a bad turn out for this one given that it was only advertised via the Fellrunner forum about 2 weeks to go.

2 courses on offer, Long = 6 controls and Short = 4 controls (miss 1 & 2), controls to be visited in any order. Des gave me my usual starting block of 'first off', so not much chance to guage the preferred optimal route. I chose A-C starting with no 3, but a fair number went clockwise including the eventual winner.


 
 
I completed in a time of 2hr10, KLM retired (poorly knee) after 4 controls on the long course. The winner managed 1hr12 (impressive as usual).
 
Local knowledge and/or following the right runner was key. There was apparently some wall-hopping in the vicinity of CP 4 and 6. Naughty really, as some route choices were well signposted.
 
New for next year is the possibility of maps printed on waterproof paper, mine looks in pristine condition post race compared with some!

Saturday's run

I decided on a gentle run on the previous day and headed over towards Rawtenstall for a run over different ground. By chance I came across SELOC's permanent orienteering course near Clowbridge Res. Whilst working my way round a few of the control sites I came across this interesting feature. Anyone care to guess what it was used for (clue - it doesn't involve sheep)?



 
 
 
 
I will post an answer later in the week.
 
 
All the best for the new year.
 
TF
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its a Baptism pit, notice entry steps far left corner.