Sunday, November 03, 2013

Grin and Bear it Sat 2nd Nov (25.6k/591m)

Still waiting the results and more importantly the photos from this one.

But to be going on with I thought I'd post an interim report. As the dist/climb suggests this should be a fairly runnable route even down to the tail-enders. Well it would be on a nice summers day, following a prolonged dry spell.

The first 5m is ok, the last 6m is too. It's the middle 4m that you begin to question your choice of 'activity' to keep you fit, well and 'alive and kicking'.

Bit of banter with the MR guys at the first checkpoint, they'd enquired if I'd got my flotation devices with me. Of course says I, patting my chest.

Well about 500m after the turn onto Feather Bed Moss I found out that I'd have needed a pair of 44GGs to keep me from going under! It'd been a long time since I'd got crossing a boggy patch so completely wrong.

I was well in up to my chin in gloopy brown stuff just about clinging on to a foot square tuft of grass and peat. The first attempt to haul myself out failed. Visibility was poor (down to about 50m in parts) and although I knew there were people following, I wasn't sure if they'd see me.

I reasoned that I could probably get my rucksack off to get at my phone and summons help that way, but later on realised there was a much more low tech way - use my whistle on the chest strap!!

Fortunately the second attempt was more successful, a little bit of leg kicking to get myself slightly more horizontal and dragged myself 'along' rather than 'up'. The weight sessions at the gym must be paying off.

At this point the three blokes I'd passed earlier on appeared. Grateful to see them, they had seen me go in and one advised no jumping across with two feet. I hadn't, but I accepted the advice gracefully and then kept a lady-like shouting distance from them all the way through the next 2 check points.

Warm food and drink was waiting at the 4th cp. After the adrenaline rush earlier, I was feeling particularly peckish so managed Pumpkin soup, a sausage roll and a mars bar.

The remaining part if the race passed uneventfully.

To think some people pay upwards of £50 to do those Tough Mudder events. You don't even get hot food and drink either on route.

TF

1 comment:

Ed the Unready said...

Sunds like we both need to work on our swimming.