Monday, September 02, 2013

Exterminator Fell Race Sunday 1st Sept (25.7k/1290m)

 
Checkpoints
StartSK 303800Cricket Inn
1SK 285788 Totley Moor Trig There will be a marshal to ensure that you run around the Trig, there will be no clip at this point
2SK 291 808Stepping Stones marshalled
3SK 257822Higger Tor, stile marshalled, water available at this checkpoint
4SK 243839Stanage Edge marshalled
5SK 235819Near Hathersage Church, where the footpath exits the field & joins the track marshalled, water available at this checkpoint
6SK 251817Bend in RoadMarshalled, where the path across Mitchell’s Field exits on to the road
7SK 247801Millstone Edge Road Crossing marshalled with water. This is a few yards after crossing the road
8SK 251791Padley Gorge - pump houseSelf Clip
9SK 285788Totley Moor TrigSelf Clip, no marshal
10SK 304800Cricket Inn
 

Five years since I'd last done this one. A lot of water under the bridge, hills climbed etc etc since then, so curious to see how my time would compare. I've raced quite extensively in the area that the race covers, but there were still sections of the route untouched since 2008. Having spent the previous day with EtU on his first Capricorn, I was going to put myself to the test.

Well first shock of the day, route choice in the first mile! That didn't happen in 2008. Obviously the rules had been relaxed somewhat. Three Totley ladies ahead (it's their clubs race)  were discussing the relative merits of the XC route vs the track. Trouble was, I was that intent on the result of their deliberations that I'd missed the style on the left that would have given me the XC option.

As we rounded the bend, horror of horrors, you could see two lines of runners and the XC route was an obviously more direct route up the hill. Mental note to self to check the exit route at the top for the return leg.

Second shock occured after CP2. I followed the 2008 route up through the woods to cross the main road to access Houndkirk Moor. No other runners in sight at this point and as I crossed the road a car pulled up next to me and the driver wound down the window and yelled 'you're going the wrong way, the others have crossed further down the road'. I assured him I was fine and choosing my own route, and 'no I didn't need a lift'.

All a bit disconcerting though. I could only assume that the 'Locals' had been out timing the various sections and had in the process 'worn' a new route across the moor. Getting well annoyed now! By CP5 I had the three Totley ladies back in sight, so back to where I was prior to CP2.

By CP8 it was decision time again. Route choice to CP9, via White Edge Moor or the Longshaw Estate. Now this is the point where I have to take issue with the RO. The 'Locals' obviously take the route throught the Estate. Part of it is not on access land and there is no direct ROW marked to the access land on the far side. Paths and ROWs do 'criss-cross' but don't go straight across.

My more southerly route across White Edge Moor is more pleasing to run, all on ROWs, but in the end it cost me 3 minutes on my race time compared to the three Totley ladies. Well you win some, you lose some.

I had to console myself with the 18min improvement on 2008, finishing with a time of 3:48:28. A lot of hard graft in 5 years to achieve that result, but well worth it!

Results http://www.totleyac.org.uk/2013Series/exterminator_r.htm

TF

No comments: