Sunday, May 12, 2013

Partner wanted.

TYC let me set off at 08:00 from the barn for our last training session together using the Coope's Dozen route before the OCT, neither of us realising EtU had set off earlier.  TYC's intention was for me to get warmed up running then stretched before he caught me up in his normal springer spaniel way.
I stopped on Georges Lane to stretch but no sign of the catching hound, onward up to Noon Hill, still no sign.  A pleasant jog across the moors to the Pike (much better when the undergrowth is low) and on reaching the tower I turned to see him running along the lower muddy route. OK thinks I, he is at least underway. Getting cold waiting at the tower I set off for 2 Lads expecting him to be on my shoulder at any time....nothing.  Running back to look along the path I could see he was making progress.  Getting cold waiting on 2 Lads I set off for the reservoir slowly.
By the time I reached the ridge before the reservoir I was getting concerned that he hadn't caught up with me.  Some abortive mobile calls between us made me turn back to see what the problem was.  TYC had picked up a calf strain going up Noon Hill and aggravated it further trying to catch me.  The injury was clearly too bad to continue, so getting him to hobble back to Wilderswood car park along the mast road I ran back for my car to pick him up.  By the time I collected him he could feel that there was a fair bit of damage and between us agreed that it would be unlikely to clear up before next Saturday.
So sorry to EyU for not catching you up.  After dropping Andy back at his car, the weather had turned for the worse and feeling deflated about TYC's injury I turned for home.
So now, another day and I am looking for a new partner.
Anybody fancy a slow trod ( because I am not fast) around the Old County Tops next Saturday: 36 miles and 10,000ft of climb taking in Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Coniston Old Man?  If so drop me a line at kevan.latham@sky.com or ring me on 07806 746947. It is an early 08:00 start and I am happy to provide the transport.

No comments: