Saturday, May 11, 2013

I've Had Better Days

First of all, apologies to anyone who reported to the Top Barn at 7:30 in response to Thursday's post. A late change of plans, agreed with YJ on Friday evening, saw us assembled at the proposed venue at 7:00 a.m.

But prior to that, as a slow morning starter, I had set my alarm for 5:00 a.m, but, horrors! A power cut meant no hot water to make wake-up drinks. Obviously, folk like TF (more of her later) would be equipped with a camping stove, but not so Grimeford Grange, so 5:20 saw me driving to MacDonald's for hot drinks.

The next hour and a bit went OK and I met YJ at the Top Barn just before 7:00. We left at 7:07 and covered all the southerly seven, arriving at Hordern Stoops at 9:51 after 2 hours and 44 minutes 'running'. Co-incidentally this was exactly how long it took the slow group in July 2011 (I don't have split times for July 2012).

YJ was running out of steam at that point and decided to head back to base.

By then, the fine rain we had experienced for the last hour had increased to an unpleasant downpour, and my plan to take in Old Adam/Arthur/Albert/Aloysious (or whatever) was abandonned so that I could keep moving and, hopefully, keep warm, and I headed direct for Great Hill, visiting Spitlers on the way. A brief stop to take in fluid and a banana on Great Hill meant that I started to get really cold.

Half way down to White Coppice a runner coming up declared 'I know that face!' so I had to stop to find out on which wanted poster he had seen me. It turned out he was one Mick Murphy, an ex-rugby player that TF plans to recruit. Apparently, he is a blog follower, and is training to get fit enough to turn out with us. I assured him that no training was necessary, we're not all as fit as TF, and we'd expect to see him very soon.

That brief stop chilled me further and it took some time to feel I had regained control over my legs. Then White Coppice and straight back to base, dallying only to talk to some rather pleasant young ladies on the way. Top Barn exactly at noon, just 4 hours 53 minutes after leaving.

Drove home wet and cold looking forward to a hot shower, confident that the power would be back on. Half an hour later, after a quick rub down with a cold wet rag, the OSH and I were settled into the Rivington, absorbing some of their warmth, and soon after, a not half-bad rib-eye steak.

As I said, I've had better days.

If it's not obvious from the above, I did 9 of the 12 tops, missing Old Thingy, Round Loaf and Healey Nab, probably did the best part of 16 miles.

The power came back on at about 4:00 p.m.

Any news from the fast group?

1 comment:

TLoB said...

OSH?