Saturday, March 23, 2013

The text message on Friday asked if I had a spare vest and could I take it to Blackpool tomorrow. Could only mean one thing - we were down to the 'odds & sods' for the road relay team. So instead of spending a relaxing evening in front of the telly, I spent an inconsiderate amount of time mulling over potential kit choice for a 2.8m road run.

Anyway better news by text on Saturday morning it was off, yes! Then moments later again by text, Edale was off too! I was looking forward to the challenge of just getting there, let alone the race itself. There were contingency plans for the contingency plans.

So after completing a few errands I headed (2hrs late) to UP. Got half way up Kiln Lane to be confronted with the first snow drift, doubled back to head to the roundabout and Chorley Old rd to find more drifts and one very poorly car being attended to by the police as it was embedded in one near the Bob Smithy.

The rest of the road was down to one lane in parts, so decided not to venture any further than the high school with the car. I managed a short circuit via the ruined castle to the lower barn and then up through the Chinese gardens. Getting along the path back down to the school was quite a challenge.

It's been a long time since I'd seen snow drifts this bad. Can't begin to imagine how bad it would be in Edale. A wise and appropriately timed decision by the organise to cancel. I can only applaud his (and his team) efforts to stage the race and in keeping us all informed of developments.

Has the Pike race ever been cancelled? Going to need to get a lot warmer this week to shift that snow on George's Lane, ones at front might need to take a shovel.

TF

1 comment:

EtU said...

The Pike Race was cancelled in 2001, FMD year. I was just about to write that that was the only time since 1979, since when I have done every race, that it has been cancelled, when the author of "Rivington Pike - History and Fell Race" walked past my front window! I rushed out and grabbed him and he reported that the race has never been cancelled. However, my subsequence reading of his book indicates that Adolf may have interrupted its continuity in the early 1940s.