Saturday, March 23, 2013

It was  snow joke 

For the first time in the many years since I joined the wfdbwgua squad the weather prevented me from UTUPing. An early call from EtU warned of tricky conditions but we agreed contingency plans and I set off undaunted with little sign of snow at home.  By Chorley the situation was much changed with big drifts within the outskirts of  the town.

The roads were still passable through to Limbrick  but from then on blowing snow was drifting across the road.  Just after the Bay Horse the drifts were bigger and progress was halted by a lady in a 4x4 coming the other way, forcing me to make a long reverse.

The road was blocked between the cottages and the top of Horrobin Lane, she said.  So it was back to the Bay Horse only to  find Babylon Lane also unfit for purpose.  With drifts growing by the minute is seemed prudent to return to safer roads, which led me back into Chorley where an unsuccessful attempt was made to phone EtU.  At this point the conditions suggested that even if I made it to the usual place running was going to be difficult given the depth and regularity of the drifts.

There was nothing else to do but return to the green green grass of home where nearly all traces  of snow had gone. 

 Now where did I put my road shoes?

No comments: