Sunday, March 17, 2013

Heptonstall Sun 17th March 24km/1000m

Just love these early Sunday morning starts, means I get the chance to do a sing-a-long in the car with some (hopefully) rousing hymns on R4's Sunday Worship. This morning's selection didn't disappoint and included 'When I survey the wondrous cross' and 'Praise my soul the king of heaven' and one of my favs 'Angel voices, ever singing'.

The race is growing in popularity, due in no small part by the effort of the RO and his team. A seamless production, especially considering the added headache of a road closure of one of the main access roads into the village, something I'd noticed when running the Hobble the previous week.

At 10:30ish I got to listen to the second sermon of the day, the local Vicar was on hand again to set us all off, this time with a quotation from Acts 20:24,

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

Well that was certainly my aim, hopefully in a time a bit quicker than last year. Must be some good sound proofing on the car as all my singing failed to elicit a single drop of rain all the way round, in fact despite the slightly chilly wind we were 'blessed' with a bit of sunshine and clear visibilty.

It's a bit of a long 'fartlek' session to begin with, but the stiles and wall crossings do give you a chance to get your breath back. For the first mile or so I was tracking Julie Haworth (Horwich), and was pleased to be keeping her in sight but assumed it wouldn't last long. We'd been warned of a bit of 'wading' due to the loss of a footbridge near Hardcastle Crags, but that was nothing to compare with the dunking I got just after crossing the Pennine Way (just west of Walshaw Dean Res). A 'marshy' section and a route choice of left or right side of a wall. I chose the wrong side (left) and almost ended up totally submerged, good job I've got a good pair of bouyancy aids!

The Horwich vest appeared within sight again at Lady Royd Farm, about 2/3rds of the way round. I didn't think I'd get many chances to get ahead of this particular one so a case of 'make hay while the sun shines'. In the end I accrued approximately a 5min lead in the final 1/3rd of the race.

I think this race packs in all the best bits of Pennine running. It's a lovely route, great community spirit from the locals and soup and cakes at the end. What more could you ask for. Put it in your calendar for next year, I'll even offer a free recce session!

TF
(I'll add a link to the results when publish, I was quicker than last year but not sure by how much) 


No comments: