Saturday, February 09, 2013

Wadsworth Trog Sat 9th Feb 32.2km/1220m

Please bear with me whilst I tell you about my history with the Wadsworth Trog races put on by Calder Valley Fell Runners. There's the full and the half.

I need to take you back to Feb 2007. At this point in time I was just making my foray into slightly longer fell races, upping the distance from about 5-6miles to 9-10miles. Calder Valley FR put both races on the same day a few years ago, and the 'half' race fit the bill. I'd done a couple of recces and felt it would be a good test of my improving ability. Unfortunately the race got cancelled the night before due to snow and it wasn't until 2010 when I finally got my chance to run the 'half' race. A momentous day it was too, I finish 3rd Lady and won a prize! (results here for 2010http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/wadsworth-half-trog/) Not long to wait before the winner of the Full race arrived though, but it did give me time to dream of competing in the longer race.

Roll forward to 9.59am today and there I was on the start line. Calder Valley have separated the two races to different dates (the half is now on in November), to allow a larger entry to each race. Cut-off times were applied to CP 3 (1hr30) and CP 11 (3hr45).




Conditions under foot varied from very firm, slushy (bit of snow overnight) and 'will the ice hold my weight' - definitely not on a couple of occasions. The eagle-eyed amongst you might recognize that the run up to CP5 and CP6 to CP7 are on the Haworth Hobble route too. I ran all the way up that tarmac hill, doubt I'll be doing that in a months time.

A bit of a stressful push up the hill to CP11 and I cleared the limit by 2mins. Needn't have worried as it appears that the marshals were being generous, and letting all the following runners through. All that remained for me was to complete the remaining 5 miles to the finish. Crossing the line was a proud moment. No prizes today, but what an incredible journey over the past 6 years and my association with the Wadsworth Trog.

A very efficient results team have got the provisional results up on their website already http://www.cvfr.co.uk/races/wadsworth-trog/

Hope you all had a good day out on the Amble and best of luck to those doing the Winter Hill race tomorrow, especially those doing the double. I'm having a 'rest' manning the desk at the XC, thankfully we're in the clubhouse for this last one and not braving the elements in the tent.

Photo

Here I am just reaching the Top'O'Stairs (cp5)

Photo

and again just after CP11 with a piece of well-earned Malt Loaf to celebrate (photos courtesy of Dave and Eileen Woodhead, for further photos have a look here http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=home&subtopic=morephotos)
TF

(updated with photos 11/2/13)

No comments: