Monday, January 14, 2013

Ashurst Beacon (9.5K/290m) Sat 12th Jan

In an attempt to get a bit of speed back I decided to target a couple of shorter, flatter races.

The previous week I'd run at the Kendal Winter League on Scout Scar and this week it was Ashurst Beacon's turn. This was a race I'd never done before but I'd heard reports of a killer uphill finish. With my 'climbing' going well it could be a chance to regain all the places lost on the flat bits.

A lunch time start gave me a chance for  a 'early doors' warm up lap with EtU, JtE and TYC over Winter Hill. EtU kindly warned me about the 'hundreds' of stiles in the race and having only had to climb over one on the outward route I was beginning to think he'd been reminiscing about a different race. The return loop at the half-way point and the following farmers fields made up for that.

Extremely heavy going in parts, made even harder trying to keep in front of the usual adversaries. I felt proper 'cream-crackered' when I finished, just a minute over the hour. Lads, I told you I needed to take the direct route back to the car parked on Foxholes, not the meandering one via Gingham Brow, might have managed a sub 60mins!!!


Not out next week as I'm off for a bit of warm-weather training. Think I've timed it well!

TF

No comments: