Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tour of Pendle Sat 17th Nov (27K/1473m)

My first year in attendance at this race when I've been the sole 'wfdbwgua' representative. That's quite a responsibility to bear on little shoulders.

The start this year was moved up the lane, I wonder if this was to make the number of 'Ks' a whole number, still set off late as normal though. Pep talk from Keiran before the 'off' with the back pack runners suggested we'd have to discuss our progression onto the second half with CP4 marshalls. Mmmh, ten minutes was a big difference to be arguing over, was going to have to flutter my eyelashes like a good'un to get through.

No major mishaps on the way to CP4 apart from another female runner calling me Sharon as she passed! Dipped under the 12.30pm discussion time by 7mins, so no fluttering required. Always such a relief to make it to the good bit.

Thought I'd try the long diagonal this year down to CP9 rather than the usual vertical drop from the top path. Not sure which is better, the top path does allow you a clear run without getting stuck behind anyone. But need to be confident of your dropping off point in the clag. The diagonal is (or was on Sat) a more defined trod, can't go wrong on it, but very slippy early on and tricky to pass on.

No cramp again this year on the last climb, so either I'm doing something right or I'm not trying hard enough! A brief touch of Bill Smith's memorial stone before the never ending track to the finish.

Not sure of my finish time but it was about the 4:10/4:11 mark, so given that I managed 4:03 last year, I think some of my training is finally starting to pay off. The climbing felt really good, but still a way to go with the flat speed. Looking to do some shorter races for the next couple of weeks.

Update (21/11/12 - ooh what's that called when it does that?) results http://www.clayton-le-moors-harriers.co.uk/uploads/Results/2012/TourRes2012.pdf

So 4:11, but only 16 behind me. 20 retirees but not sure how many missed the cut-off.

A further 3 may have been dsq for missing CP11, or perhaps given a time penalty? Reading the Bowland report their lead runner has moved from crossing the line 9th on the day, to 6th on the results http://bowlandfellrunners.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/full-tour-of-pendle-by-deckers/ No mention in Kierans report though. Await the discussion on fell runner forum with interest!!

Date for next year 23rd Nov (a week longer to recover from road marathon duties EtU)


TF






No comments: