Thursday, November 01, 2012

Preston Guild Marathon 28th October 2012

With Preston being my home town and the route passing within a couple of hundred yards of my and YJ's  (and most of the rest of the family's) primary school this had to be done.

Unfortunately, as you'll be aware, YJ has been injured for some time. What you may not be aware of is that after my initial enthusiasm I was a little lacking in motivation, to the extent that in the months leading up to the race I rarely got in much more than 30 miles a week.

So it was with some trepidation that I toed the line just befor 9:00 a.m last Sunday, having been treated to an extra hour hour in bed, courtesy of our reversion to GMT.  Having done a couple of 10k's recently at about 8:45 minute per mile pace, the plan was to run just below 10 minute mile pace until the wheels fell off, and then to move into survival mode.

Despite the awful weather, things went more or less to plan and I went through 10 miles in about 1:38, but then lost a couple of minutes due to 'having to climb a gate', then went through the half in 2:12. Climbed a couple more gates during the second half and started to slow, but eventually finished in 4:43/4:44 (chip/gun). Not good, but could have been worse, considering the wall to wall rain.

The men's race was won by Ben Fish of Blackburn Harriers in 2:21, which seems to be a good time for a fairly low key provincial race.  First lady was Emma Curtis-Smith of Bearbrook in 3:00.

Results at:- http://www.prestonguild2012.com/resources/files/294_Results%20-%20Preston%20Guild%20Marathon.pdf

You'll see that PS (Chris) ran 4:01/4:03. Not having seen him at the start, I'd assumed he was way in front of me, but he caught me up at about the 2 mile mark, chatted a bit, and then cruised comfortably away to eventually take over 40 minutes out of me.

Congratulations to BIL2x who was a doubtful a week before the race and then had a stormer, taking the overal V60 prize in 3:13.

Photo below courtesy of PS's mate.


No comments: