Monday, November 26, 2012

Kirbymoor Fell Race Saturday 24th November

Three of us travelled up to the Furness Peninsula for this BMedium fell race (TF, TYC and yours truly). We renewed aquaintances with a number of old contacts, including John Brown, recently of Salford, who had left that club to join Ambleside, leaving TF as Salford's sole surviving fell-runner.

Conditions were not brilliant, very wet underfoot, with the constant threat of cloud and rain, but it stayed clear and we saw no significant rain until we were nearly back in Bolton.

First home was TYC, having played nip and tuck with Wendy Dodds (twice his age) throughout the race, finally, and most ungallantly, pipping her by four seconds. You'll see from the results:-

http://www.bcrunners.org.uk/races/kirkbymoor/2012 that that evergreen Clayton lady was only 37 seconds behind the first man in her age group!

Next was TF, beating, I understand, her previous best for the course by several minutes; please correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a somewhat worrying race, and was on the point of packing up at several points. I apologised to those marshalls who were still at their posts as I went round. Hope it's just the after-effects of the flu jab, if not, please visit me when I'm hospitalised.

Although TF had made a gallant attempt to give away all her baking produce before I finally finished, there was stiil flapjack and Guiness/chocolate cake left, so I was able console myself with portions of those. A good day out, a terrible result for me.

No comments: