Monday, August 13, 2012

Chariots Of Fire

I now know why people running on sand are always shown in slow motion - it's impossible to run quickly! Managed to complete The Cross Bay Challenge yesterday and it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I was drawn to the uniqueness of the event - starting in Cumbria, ending in Lancashire, stunning scenery and dating back to 13th century monks guiding travellers across the sands. What they didn't say was you have to run 13.1 miles on sand - soft sand, hard sand with ridges, squelchy sand that sucks your trainers off and you have to cross ice cold water channels which at times came above my waistband.
Lots of people gave up and ended up on the "tractor of shame" but I am pleased to report that I kept going despite legs like jelly and crossed the finishing line in 2;28. I felt like an olympic champion, especially when the medal was placed around my neck.Winning time was 1;35 so not a race to do if you are looking for a pb!

cross bay challenge half marathon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one Hazel - sounds like a great day out :)