Monday, July 30, 2012

Coope's Dozen - News From the Front

It didn't matter how much I tried to hold back and form a breakaway "medium" group, the fast group would keep waiting for me. The fast group consisted of Albert, Tony, FSS, Tom, Paul, Mark Swindell, Josie, and me (Mark Sammon).

Not much hanging around on Noon Hill then off to the Pike. From the Pike we split with 5 of us taking the more direct route to Two ladds and 3 following Georges lane. Then the bogs caught a couple of us as we headed on towards the shooting hut before continuing on to Whinberry Hill and Egg Hillock. On a previous recce FSS had found an alternative path to Counting Hill which turned out to be an Excellent path.

At Counting Hill almost everybody went to say "Hi!" to Steve Barlow and I took the chance to make up some ground and carry on for the trig point. Down then on a more direct line to Horden Stoops where Tom had a nasty turn on his ankle which lucky didn't cause any damage.

Thanks to YJ and Elaine for the food and drink!!!

Onwards to Old Adam where the pack was split into three groups. 7 people initially headed off together branching off after the stile whilst I continued along the wall for a few hundred meters to take a higher line. The other group somehow managed to split again with FSS and Albert taking one line and the rest taking a slightly higher line. I wouldn't say their lines were slower than mine but I had to put my coat on as I was getting cold waiting for them on Old Adam :-))

On to Spitlers and Great Hill, then some off-roading to get on the path for Round Loaf where a couple of us were talked in to rebuilding the cairn. Paul planned to take the path via White coppice from Round Loaf but was soon talked into taking Alberts more direct route to Watermans cottage. Paul eventually conceded that it was a quicker (if not rougher) route.

Thanks again to YJ for the water and cake!!

With tired legs now I kept up the back marker position to Healy Nab before eventually, on the way back to the barn, managing to form my own Medium speed splinter group containing .... Me!!, Until of course Albert decided to wait for me near the end of Anglezark res and stop me from walking too much.

Albert and I made it back in 4hr 35min a few minutes behind the rest of the group. I had an enjoyable day with great company followed by tea and cake in the Lower Barn. How can you beat that???

No comments: