Friday, June 01, 2012

The Torch Through Horwich

Responding to a proposal from Meredith, our youngest, I set my alrm for 5:00 this morning and was on Chorley New Road for 6:00. Meredith turned up with her boys soon after, complete with with home made union flag (I think there may be some confusion between the Olympic Torch Relay and the Royal Jubillee celebrations):-


After quite a wait, and a significant promotional cavalcade, the torch bearer come into view. He was a young lad suffering from, possibly, celebral palsy, but he made good progress and was very well received:-


Managed to get a reasonable picture as he came past, but unfortunatly a "heavy" virtually obscured my squad (left to right, you can see Meredith's face, Henry's feet and Jake in his buggy:-



I'm told that soon after the Crown a bus came into use, and the next time the torch was carried was on the tarmac was at Yarrow Bridge.

My overall impression was that the promotional buses did not detract too much from the occasion, and the local folk of all ages were thrilled by the experience, and as I drove home for my porridge, I was heartened by the way it brought the community together.

No comments: