Sunday, June 03, 2012

Edenfield Sunday 3rd June - 10.3km/6.4m,  477m/1565ft.

I only put the numbers in the title as my GPS actually gave the same result!!

I like the Boxing Day Whinberry Naze race for the terrain and views so I thought I might like this event as it overlaps the Naze route on Cowpe Lowe and so should have similar terrain and views.  Just as I had hoped, I enjoyed the route and views most thoroughly and the cold wet, windy weather didn't didn't spoil the occasion.

 I didn't recognise any of the runners on the start line except for 2 of my "O"club members, one of them being a very good runner - you know the type - flying along up or down hill and doesn't look like he's trying!  Looking round the start line I did feel a little over dressed compared to some hearty souls with the flimsiest bits of clothing covering them but by the time I had finished I was more than pleased with my decision in clobber - I am partial to being warm and comfortable.

The start of the race is a steady climb with a few sharp walking climb bits which suited me well and allowed me to pass some of the earlier fast starters.  The down hilling bits as always were my undoing.  However, the variation in the terrain underfoot made it so much more enjoyable and I was bouncing along like TYC!  Two particular gents I think were getting miffed with me as I kept passing them on the climbs and the tussock stretches but they usually passed me on the downing stuff.

The highest point of the course is Whittle Hill after passing a few wind beasties, which look very intimidating up close, then a long drop and a stiff but short climb, a bit like the back leg on Black Coombe.  After the last climb, it is a very fast descent down farm road, track and path.  This was turning out to be very competitive, one of my adversaries passed me but I managed to keep in touch with him and at the same time time keeping the other one at bay all the way down to the cricket club finish.

The finish is a wide swooping arc around the cricket pitch to finish in front of the club house.  Head down, I went for the guy in front but he dug in 50m from home and moved away then the guy behind passed me with 20 m to go.  Damn and blast!  I thought I might have been a bit angry with myself on the finish line like I used to be a few years ago but instead I was in fact pleased that I had kept him at bay for so long.

A really enjoyable race, despite the weather.  I loved the mixed terrain and route, not a big field of runners, so methinks I will be doing this again - all things being equal that is.
I am actually starting to enjoy my fell running again, where I actually get some fun out of the event.  As I have nothing to prove I'm getting a lot of bonuses using Riddles Law! (See earlier posting regarding Riddles Law)

KLM

No comments: