Sunday, May 20, 2012

Speaking of Wildlife

Can you see him, little grey squirrel centre of pic. Well blink, or in this case 'slow shutter' and you'll miss him. A very brief trot arround the flat bit of Rivington on Thursday evening revealing abundance of flora and fauna. At least I made it back to the car a bit better than I did on Tuesday night after a evening of running round in circles in Delamere Forest. Added a few more holes in my running tights from snagging on brambles and branches, a few more and they'll become fashionable enough to wear out on a Saturday Night.

Shining Tor 12K/533m Saturday 19th May


Hadn't felt the weather suited a recce for Ennerdale this weekend and decided to head South for a short race in the Goyt Valley on Saturday afternoon. The 2pm start allowed for a more relaxed 'rise and shine' for Saturday morning, Shinning Tor is usually a mid-week evening race and by moving it to a Saturday afternoon it also allowed the organizers to extend its length by nearly 3K.

Not feeling so relaxed on the start line as there were an abundance of fast skinny folk, the race had been designated the Intercounties Fell Championship Race this year. So I was pitting myself against the best each county could offer. But I now have a 'coterie' of V65/V70 South of Manchester racing buddies that I say hello to. Rod, Rodger and Trevor all duly acknowledged and relieved that there were a few other non-elites present.

I think most of the extra 3K was 'up', well that's my explanation for only just shading under the Hour and a Half, 15mins slower than when I ran it as the 'shorter' course. Rod and Rodger had zoomed off into the distance but managed to keep Trevor in sight and pass as we commenced the main descent. If I can do this I usually manage to keep him behind me after that. A good little battle with his younger female team-mate thereafter, finally clinching it on the killer climb to the finish.

The winner had 'sprinted' round in 46mins. Puts this fell running lark into perspective when you know that they can manage sub 30 mins for a 10k.

Hutton Roof Crags - Had this one on my radar too, may not be able to make a decision though until very late on next week

TF



No comments: