Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fairfield Horseshoe 14.5k/914m Sat 12th May

A slight delay posting whilst I waited for the results to be published. All in all a satisfactory end to a week of racing (5 in 8 days).

The weather behaved again for the 2nd Saturday in a row and good visibility all round. A bigger turnout than for Coniston with 291 coming through the finish funnel, the entry team dealing very efficiently with all the runners, especially as there was now a kit-check for every one (quite rightly so) before you could hand over your dosh to claim a number. If you haven't already read the news on the fellrunner forum regarding Brian Belfield then please do  www.fellrunner.org.uk .

The route had reverted to the usual start/finish area after last years' little hic-cup (showers now fully open). After my fourth go at this race I still haven't nailed a definitive route after Low Pike, oh the agony of route choice! At least I avoided the bog, I think the sign's been removed as apparently one runner went for a wade up to his waist.

Leg speed still not there yet but felt quite strong at the end and managed to over-take 5 weary, spaced out (distance, not dope) runners on the final track up to the finish. So 2hrs 20mins 54secs and 260/291 placed.

Thought I'd put my maths head on and have a look at the stats in comparison with the previous weeks' race. For me Coniston was 2hrs 10mins 11 secs for 14k/1065m.  The winner of Fairfield (time 1hr19mins18) also did Coniston (finished 5th) in 1hr12mins09 so a difference of 7mins, mine was 10mins. The first Lady finisher to do both races (that I could find) did 1hr37 at Coniston and 1hr47 at Fairfield. So taking in to account that I'm finished over an hour after the winner, I don't think the weeks racing affected me too much at all, in fact I think it sharpened me up. Wonder if it'll work for the cut offs for Ennerdale?

Plans a bit vague for the next couple of days, still haven't made it round for a recce of the Ennerdale route due to poor forecasts, so could be up that way this weekend if weather permits. Would like to wish the lads best of luck on OCT on Saturday.

TF

1 comment:

KLM said...

5 races in 5 days ! Must have thighs that can crack walnuts!

Almost a tour. Are you doing the mini tour of Horwich including the orienteering?

KLM