Sunday, April 22, 2012

Grasmere Fells, Tarns and Gingerbread

I looked upon this outing as a reasonable but not tough jaunt with a bit of climb and drop as part of my OCT training. Oh, was I wrong.  This was a true LDWA challenge of 21 miles and according to my Garmin 7,700 feet of ascent and as my knees will testify, 7,700 feet of mainly steep descent.

I have to say though, the Gods smiled on us yesterday with mainly bright weather  and only a couple of showers providing us with some magnificent views especially off the ridges we traversed.  I must have spent 90% plus of my time on my own around the route, which was in its own way pleasant but I did miss the badinage of a UTUP outing.  I managed to twist both ankles again making the jogging painful but tolerable; nobody around to hear the expletives spewing forth from the initial pain.

As for my running mates, the T'Yerksheermon tore past me on the climb up to Alcock Tarn but I did pass him on the way down to the main road from Great Rigg and never to be seen again until the pavilion finish in Grasmere.  Mark Sammon, decided to finish his startline cup of tea giving everyone a 10 minute start before deciding to take part.  He passed me on the way down from Great Rigg, again never to be seen until the finish.  The rest of the route took in the ridge to Helm Crag from Greenburn Bottom, then onto Easdale tarn before climbing up to Blea fell, onto Yew crag before the sting in the tail of Loughrigg. I never thought I would look upon Loughrigg as being a challenge!

A lot of discussion in the pavilion over pasties, beans and trifle was about how most had underestimated how tough the event was.  The thing I like about these events is the refreshments you get part way round and at the finish for what is a reasonable entry fee.  On this occasion we were all given free gingerbread from the local sponsor which went down very nicely.

KLM

T'Yerksheermon tearing up Grey Crag to Alcock Tarn.  Helm Crag, Easedale and Grasmere in background

Alcock Tarn looking West

Easedale Tarn looking back to Helm Crag and Great Rigg in the background

KLM on Loughrigg with the finish in Grasmere in sight

The run around the southwest side of Grasmere to the finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics KLM - agree we've done this a few times and it's a toughie :)