Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wadsworth Half Trog 9.25m/1427ft

I did do a bit of a doubletake just before going to bed the night before having checked the 'paper' calendar and seen a 10am start listed and not the 12 noon I'd expected. So then had to switch the computer on to re-check the FRA website and the Club website so I could have a restful nights sleep. Remember having seen the revised start time which I think was to tie in with Calder Valley hosting the Annual FRA Dinner and End of Year presentations, an opportunity to work up a healthy appetite for the evenings food and drink.

My previous decision not to recce the section from CP2 to CP3 turned out to be a good one as an amendment to the route was made because of a clash with the local Land Estates 'shoot'. Bad enough that you might as an organizer lose a few runners because they got lost, but losing a few 'cos they become 'fair game' for the local shooting fraternity might be frowned upon. So instead of mud slide down to the reservoir and a tortuous climb back up through the heather we got an easy run on a good path alongside a drainage ditch. Personally I think I was a much better target to be shot at running along the top, definitely more visible in a bright red vest than when I disappear in the heather, but then a Land Owner with a gun is not to be argued with!

Race went without a hitch until I decided to appear at the last check point at 90 degrees to where the Marshalls were expecting me. A bit of a wrong trod error, should have taken the right fork not the left one and then carried on too far thinking that all trods would lead eventually to the trig. Well they did, but not as quickly as taking the 'right' one would have.

Trundled home in just over 2hrs, nearly an hour behind the leaders. Not a sparkling peformance but enough to indicate I've recovered sufficiently from my recent cold to turn up next week at ToP.

Results http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=1063

TP

No comments: