Sunday, November 20, 2011

Last Saturday

Managed a short outing from the Lower Barn to Rivington Pike and Two Lads. My first outing since the Harriers  relay race. On approaching the pike I could hear, from the terraced gardens, a voice in the distance. I thought, initially, that it might be someone sheep gathering on the moor. However, on gaining the pike summit there was what I assumed to be a Buddhist monk, or similar, dressed in a full white robe, and sitting on the edge of the plateau nearest to the pigeon tower. He was chanting at the top of his voice. On visiting Two Lads I was appalled to see the condition of the main cairn. Who would want to destroy such a fine structure? The smallest of the three cairns seemed to have gained in stature since I last saw it. Perhaps some of the material from the main cairn had been used in its well structured facade. I returned to the barn directly by the gardens and the monk was still at it.

No comments: