Saturday, October 01, 2011

Tough Trough

YJ and I had planned to run the Trough of Bowland several years ago, but a dose of man flu stood in the way and the idea was shelved.  It was lifted off the shelf and dusted down this year as I searched desperately for something that might give the boost to my preparation for the Snowdonia Marathon that would enable me to give a creditable performance. The BIL always throws in an "over distance" outing in the lead up to a big event (he hasn't tried a BG yet) so the Trough run seemed appropriate. Unfortunately YJ's sciatic problem meant that he wouldn't be up for the full distance.

TF had offered to help so there we were, this morning in Chipping, TF and I ready to run and YJ on road support, and keeping us company for short stretches near all his drink stations.

The day warmed up very quickly and as YJ ran out to meet us near Burholme Bridge TF and I were already feeling the heat. These two guys obviously felt that they wanted to air their differences, and YJ, who had recorded the England v Scotland decider was worried that their garb was of some significance.


"Where did that haggis go?"

TF didn't ask whether anything was worn under the kilt, and neither of them answered "No ma'm, it's all in perfect working order."

PS ~ Not absolutely sure, but I think the top almost exactly above the bald Scotsman's head is Birkett Fell GR 669481.

We carried on through Dunsop Bridge, past Sykes, met YJ again and then carried on up the biggest climb on the route to the watershed at GR 622551, an elevation of 295 metres, achieved in 1:46:49, approx 10 miles.

From there we had the benefit of a slight breeze and a gentle downhill run which enabled us to make good progress to the 15 mile point, whence, as planned, YJ drove TF to her car, which they had stashed earlier, about a mile and a half off the route.

From that point it was beginning to become apparent that the drinks I had brought were inadequate for the hot conditions and I suffered to some extent. The 20 mile point, a private house, previously the Bleasdale Moorcock, at GR 542471 was achieved in 3:48:22 and from there, with YJ's continuing support I struggled with the undulating route to Higher Brock Mill GR 573445 where I begged water from some residents.

Then another three and a bit miles into Chipping to be met again by YJ.


Total time 5:23:04, distance about 27 miles. Please don't work out the average pace.

A fine, if a bit too hot and a bit tougher than I had expected, day out.

Thanks guys, I needed you. Must do it again, but not this year. Has it set me up for Snowdonia, or wrecked me for Snowdonia? One month today will perhaps tell.

No comments: