Monday, October 31, 2011

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

The evening before the race I was reading Robin Harvie's "Why We Run", and a quote attributed to Emil Zatopek in the pages that I had read, frequently went through my mind during that awful 4 hours and 57 minutes:- "Why should I practice running slowly? I already know how to run slow. I must learn to run fast." Seem to remember TF saying something similar a few weeks ago.

So it's back to the drawing board again, or to be more precise, back to the running track.

The weather was not ideal, it rained throughout the race, and at times the wind was strong and adverse, although that didn't seem to bother the winner, Rob Samuel, who romped home in 2:36 (when was the last time you romped?).

Only minor satisfaction was that although 8th out of 14 V65s, I was in front, albeit narrowly, of the first V70, Peter Harding (4:58) and first V75 Allan Smith (5:00). Harding had passed me on the final grassy descent, and although I was almost past caring at that point, my fire was lit and I was able to stop him pulling away, and subsequently took 47 seconds out of him on the run in. Now I'm sure that another V70 that I know wouldn't have let me do that!

Full results here:- http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/index.php

Another thing, I may finally have been cured of speaking to strange ladies, after one that I had merely passed the time of day with, was only a minute or two later telling me about her terrible turbanned, unemployed, alcoholic neighbour, who had diverted the out-flow from his washing machine into her pond and thereby killed all her fish. That'll teach me!

No comments: