Sunday, October 09, 2011

Langdale ~ A Failure, but not a Dismal Failure

Obviously a fun weekend with lots of folk out, and various stories to tell. First off, apologies to t'Y for taking so long to get my coffee that you'd only got 5 minutes to prepare, but I had offered you the car keys!

The significance of the number, NLN, was that when I went to collect my number, I was told that there wasn't one for me. However further further discussion revealed that one Dave Terner-Swift had collected mine, so I was to run with his.

Felt much better than last year, two minutes inside the Esk Hause shelter cut-off (16:46 Angle Tarn to EHS, YJ, not too much down on past climbs). Then to Bow Fell with 5 minutes to spare. Then I realised I should have heeded AW's advice "...Bowfell, Ridge route to Crinkle Crags, entirely delightful, but not in mist!"

Spent what seemed an eternity looking for the main summit until hypothermia set in, then dropped off back to the finish via Oxendale.

During my search for the top I met up with a couple, another Dave, a 2011 BG completer and Alix, a fellow club member of wild-child Mel from Madrid. If you're reading this Mel, it was a bit cooler than Madrid, but just as much fun.

Despite my failure, I'm less of a realist that t'Y, I'll still be looking for a Lakeland A Long finish in 2012 ~ dream on!

However, on the downside, I lifted a toenail on the way down, hope it doesn't interfere too much with Snowdonia training.



Someone said to bathe it in alcohol. Wasn't sure if that was from the inside, or the outside, so I did both.

Well done TF, you continue to excel, but wait for next year!

Caption for the TV pic, "I may look like EtU, but I'm shorter, uglier, balder and much more horrid!".

No comments: