Friday, August 05, 2011

He Got Knocked Down...

...but he got up again, and did the Ironman four weeks later. TIM (aka New Ray) sent me this report:-

"My intention this year was to do the Bob Graham, but after having my worst ever year of injuries I decided, after receiving a lot of advice from experienced runners (you know who you are), to leave it for another year. In May, I was forced to take a four week break from running because of a bad foot injury (coming down from the Pike race) and so went back to cycling with Dave and John, who were preparing for the 2011 UK Iron Man.

It was during these sessions that I was hooked into doing one final Iron Man. The training was going quite well until the 30th June when, while cycling with a friend through Lytham, a car suddenly turned, without warning, and resulted in me having a dislocated shoulder, a few bruised ribs and a written off bike. I felt very lucky as it could have been a lot worse. The most unnerving thing about the accident was that the local undertaker asked if there was anything he could do to help me.

With a lot of help from the physiotherapist and a bit of madness on my part I decided to still have a go. Getting up at 3.30 a.m. on the morning of the race wasn’t easy, as my shoulder had seized up and I was still not sure I would make the 2.4 mile open swim. Neil picked me up at 4.20 a.m. and after picking up Gary and Dave we arrived at Pennington Flash at 4.50 a.m. feeling both nervous and excited. At this stage I was 60% convinced I wouldn’t be able to complete the swim and decided I would have to take one stroke at a time.

After checking my bike and getting my wet suit on,



it was time to parade down to the water with 1,400 other nervous competitors. After the national anthem was played the starter horn went off and suddenly I was on my way. For the first half mile there was lots of banging into other swimmers as we all struggled to find clear water. Eventually, I found clear water and got into a smooth rhythm which helped settle down the shoulder pain. Once I got past the two mile stage I knew I would make it and I also knew I wouldn’t need to go for a wee after getting out of the water.

Out of the water in a respectable time of 1.40 and on my way to get my bike I was surprised and very pleased to see a good friend with his camera and smiling face. Off with the wet suit and on with the cycling gear and sun lotion. When I got to the bike start I was told I would have to go back to the tent as I had forgotten to put my number on. Ten minutes later, with a handwritten number on, I was on my bike for the long 112 mile cycle. It was good to get on the bike and I felt confident now the swim was over. The support throughout was great and it was a real lift to my spirits to see so many familiar faces on route. Sheep House Lane did not feel too tough and the weather was perfect. However, I was beginning to realise that I was unable to take on enough food and drink after lap one. I have never experienced this before but have heard about it happening to others. I just felt sick at the thought of eating or drinking and had to really force myself to fuel up. It didn’t seem to effect my cycling as I felt alright all the way round. It was sad to see a few people having problems and one lad, within six miles of finishing, was sitting on the pavement saying that he just had enough. I was also gutted to hear, later on, that Gary had to withdraw from the cycling because of a very bad back.

Racking the bike up, on with the running shoes and the Lostock vest I felt good getting my feet on the ground and began the marathon run. I was aiming for a modest but steady ten minute mile pace and for the first eight miles I felt fine with a nine minute mile pace but suddenly I blew up and very felt thirsty. No matter how much water I took on at the feeding stations I could not quench my thirst and felt a bit dizzy. I decided to try and run a mile and walk a mile for the rest of the marathon and with great support throughout the run I finished at 9.14 p.m. For me the Iron Man event began on my ninth mile of the run as I really had to dig deep within myself.


Crossing the finish line is always a great thrill and it was great to celebrate it with Tricia, my wife.

On the way home, Franca had a couple of large pizzas, on the house, waiting for us to collect. Typing this report, two days after the event, I feel remarkably fresh and ready to get back to fell running. I have missed the great company and being out on the fells."

Ray turned out with us (TF, the Galloping Major and yours truly) last night and showed that he had recovered well from the weekend. In fact he was the one wanting to throw in a few extra miles, and seemed disappointed when we turned for home after over two hours on Winter Hill.

Well done that (iron) man!

No comments: