Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dark and White Mini MM - Monsal Head (Weds 10th Aug)

No, I'd not heard of it either. An area of the Peak District I'd not been to, so I looked it up (GR 185715). Looking up my route options I noted the trail route along the disused railway line, and the google map suggested tunnels but unsure if they were accessible or not. Preparation is key for these events, so I always make certain of my route options to and from the Start/Finish area.

A search came up with this http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/visits/monsaltrail.php , would definitely avoid a bit of climbing!

So a bit disappointed to find when handed the map that all tunnels were 'out of bounds', and most of the running was to the SE of Monsal Head. (Will add the map in when get a chance, so that you can see what I mean).

Initial disappointment overcome, I had an enjoyable run out in some pretty foul weather, thankfully it wasn't too cold. A maximum of 265 points on offer, and I managed 180. I did leave myself with a bit of a long road run to the finish without scoring any points, so I not sure I really planned the optimum route, but clocked up just over 10m in the 2hrs. On leaving last night I was in the lead in my age category, I think there may have been a few more to come in, so I'll have to see if I manage to hang on to that.

No utup tonight, but should be ok for one on Saturday

TF




No comments: